Special shoes for walking on lava
Brian Eable
2005-03-15 23:56:04 UTC
What kind of shoes would you need to be able to walk across red hot
lava? Clearly magical heat resistant shoes would work, if they
existed. However, they don't. Shoes made out of rock wouldn't work,
because they would melt in the heat, dropping you into the lava.
Similarly most metals would melt, leading to a painful burn. Magnesium
or Sodium would be particularly bad choices.

Possibly some sort of refrigerated shoes could conduct the heat away
before it causes the shoes to melt down, but I doubt it.
--
Kevin... I respectfully suggest that you stop being such a
knobgobbler for a moment -- Glitter Ninja
http://beable.com
Tim Chmielewski
2005-03-16 00:07:33 UTC
Post by Brian Eable
What kind of shoes would you need to be able to walk across red hot
lava?
I saw a documentary on some volcanolgists who said they deliberately wore
normal shoes when observing so they would have a good indicator of whether
the ground was too hot to proceed.

Also one of them gave their shoes to the lava flow (although that may have
been an artist.)

Thanks.
--
GIT Groupie : http://gitgroupie.timchuma.com
The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com
Kevin S. Wilson
2005-03-16 16:07:45 UTC
Post by Tim Chmielewski
Post by Brian Eable
What kind of shoes would you need to be able to walk across red hot
lava?
I saw a documentary on some volcanolgists who said they deliberately wore
normal shoes when observing so they would have a good indicator of whether
the ground was too hot to proceed.
Also one of them gave their shoes to the lava flow (although that may have
been an artist.)
I cursed my fate because the lava flow had no shoes, and then I met a
lava flow that had no feet.
Otto Bahn
2005-03-16 16:26:27 UTC
Post by Tim Chmielewski
Post by Brian Eable
What kind of shoes would you need to be able to walk across red hot
lava?
I saw a documentary on some volcanolgists who said they deliberately wore
normal shoes when observing so they would have a good indicator of whether
the ground was too hot to proceed.
*Running* shoes. For those special moments when you need to
GET THE FSCK OUT OF THERE.
Post by Tim Chmielewski
Also one of them gave their shoes to the lava flow (although that may have
been an artist.)
I guess if you're dumb enough to get that close to lava,
what the hell, take off your shoes.

--oTTo--

Ain't no heat sink big enough
Ain't no temperature low enough
Ain't no river wide enough
If you need me, too late
No matter where you at
No matter how hot
Just kiss your ass
It'll be over in a hurry
You didn't have to die
Nicko
2005-03-17 05:07:14 UTC
Post by Otto Bahn
Post by Tim Chmielewski
Also one of them gave their shoes to the lava flow (although that may have
been an artist.)
I guess if you're dumb enough to get that close to lava,
what the hell, take off your shoes.
--oTTo--
Ain't no heat sink big enough
Ain't no temperature low enough
Ain't no river wide enough
If you need me, too late
No matter where you at
No matter how hot
Just kiss your ass
It'll be over in a hurry
You didn't have to die
Gah! Good timing oTTo.

Another beer goes aerosol.
--
YOP...

Nervous "a beer shy and a keyboard shot" Nick
Nicko
2005-03-16 00:40:52 UTC
Post by Brian Eable
What kind of shoes would you need to be able to walk across red hot
lava? Clearly magical heat resistant shoes would work, if they
existed. However, they don't. Shoes made out of rock wouldn't work,
because they would melt in the heat, dropping you into the lava.
Similarly most metals would melt, leading to a painful burn. Magnesium
or Sodium would be particularly bad choices.
Possibly some sort of refrigerated shoes could conduct the heat away
before it causes the shoes to melt down, but I doubt it.
Fuck, even JESUS couldn't figure that one out.
YOP...
Rich Holmes
2005-03-16 16:15:34 UTC
Post by Nicko
Post by Brian Eable
What kind of shoes would you need to be able to walk across red hot
lava?
Fuck, even JESUS couldn't figure that one out.
But Johann Gottlieb Leidenfrost could. Leidenfrost is better than
Jesus.
--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes <http://www.richholmes.net/doctroid/>

"Maybe I should ask sane people." -- Dag ]gren
Jeremy D. Impson
2005-03-18 07:14:25 UTC
Post by Rich Holmes
Post by Nicko
Post by Brian Eable
What kind of shoes would you need to be able to walk across red hot
lava?
Fuck, even JESUS couldn't figure that one out.
But Johann Gottlieb Leidenfrost could. Leidenfrost is better than
Jesus.
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/L/Le/Leidenfrost_effect.htm

--Jeremy
--
Jeremy Impson
jdimpson can be contacted at acm dot org
http://impson.tzo.com/~jdimpson
Kevin S. Wilson
2005-03-16 16:08:51 UTC
Ahhh. Good times, good times.
Mr. Stabby
2005-03-18 18:46:45 UTC
How about some shoes made of that magical Black Box(tm) material from
airplanes??
Kevin S. Wilson
2005-03-18 20:41:31 UTC
Post by Mr. Stabby
How about some shoes made of that magical Black Box(tm) material from
airplanes??
How about quoting some of what you're replying to, so we know what the
hell you're talking about? And how about that airline food? What's up
with that? It, like, tastes bad and stuff.
James "Kibo" Parry
2005-03-18 20:59:10 UTC
Post by Kevin S. Wilson
Post by Mr. Stabby
How about some shoes made of that magical Black Box(tm) material from
airplanes??
How about quoting some of what you're replying to, so we know what the
hell you're talking about?
Kevin, how about you buying everyone a subscription to a real Usenet
provider so they don't have to use that terrible interface Google Groups
now has that knows not of what primitive Earth people call "quo-ting"?
Post by Kevin S. Wilson
And how about that airline food? What's up with that? It, like, tastes
bad and stuff.
What airline are you flying on that still feeds you? My preferred
carrier is Delta, which recently announced they will no longer even
_sell_ you a can of fake Pringles.

-- K.

If my shoes were made
of Black Box(tm), it
would lead to a lot of
people firing rays at
them to find my balls.

DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY: 7.0
...unless four of the balls
are arranged like so,

..O.
O...
...O
.O..

in which case you only
have a 25% chance of
guessing which of the
four inner squares is
where the fifth one
is hidden.
r***@spro.net
2005-03-18 22:05:17 UTC
Post by James "Kibo" Parry
Post by James "Kibo" Parry
Post by Kevin S. Wilson
Post by Mr. Stabby
airplanes??
How about quoting some of what you're replying to, so we know what the
hell you're talking about?
Kevin, how about you buying everyone a subscription to a real Usenet
provider so they don't have to use that terrible interface Google Groups
now has that knows not of what primitive Earth people call
"quo-ting"?

As you probably already know, but 18 bajillion people do not, it is
possible to make Google quote. Instead of clicking on the "Reply" link
at the bottom of the message, click on "Show Options" at the top, and
then click "Reply." As irrefutable proof supplied by science, I'm
posting this message from Google.

There. Look at all the money I've saved now that I don't have to buy
everyone a subscription to a real Usenet provider.

PS: I don't know why I'm being nice to you after you likened me to
Archie Pu and mocked my meager math skills. You must've noticed,
though, that I did get those other math nerds to do my homework for me.
Mr. Stabby
2005-03-21 16:17:11 UTC
Post by r***@spro.net
As you probably already know, but 18 bajillion people do not, it is
possible to make Google quote. Instead of clicking on the "Reply" link
at the bottom of the message, click on "Show Options" at the top, and
then click "Reply." As irrefutable proof supplied by science, I'm
posting this message from Google.
There. Look at all the money I've saved now that I don't have to buy
everyone a subscription to a real Usenet provider.
PS: I don't know why I'm being nice to you after you likened me to
Archie Pu and mocked my meager math skills. You must've noticed,
though, that I did get those other math nerds to do my homework for me.
Thanks for the tip dude. The "NEW IMPORVED" Google Groups is the
biggest keg of snot I've seen. If I post from home it quotes, from
work it doesn't. Whoops did I say I post at work? Move along, nothing
to see here.
Glenn Knickerbocker
2005-03-22 21:02:18 UTC
Post by James "Kibo" Parry
people firing rays at
them to find my balls.
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY: 7.0
Aw, that's not that hard. In fact, it's on our dining room shelf right
underneath Zap! with the missing black schnook.

¬R

Otto Bahn
2005-03-18 21:30:08 UTC
Post by Kevin S. Wilson
Post by Mr. Stabby
How about some shoes made of that magical Black Box(tm) material from
airplanes??
Since cockroaches are supposed to survive a nuclear war,
during a nuclear attack I would hide under the refrigerator.
Post by Kevin S. Wilson
How about quoting some of what you're replying to, so we know what the
hell you're talking about? And how about that airline food? What's up
with that? It, like, tastes bad and stuff.
I don't know why they don't just get some Chinese take-out.

--Tedward
Glenn Knickerbocker
2005-03-18 21:41:48 UTC
Post by Kevin S. Wilson
How about quoting some of what you're replying to, so we know what the
hell you're talking about?
Because, you know, the Subject: header is really far away from the text.

¬R
Kevin S. Wilson
2005-03-18 22:07:54 UTC
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:41:48 -0500, Glenn Knickerbocker
Post by Glenn Knickerbocker
Post by Kevin S. Wilson
How about quoting some of what you're replying to, so we know what the
hell you're talking about?
Because, you know, the Subject: header is really far away from the text.
After two or three follow-ups, any given message in ARK no longer has
much relevance to the subject line.
Etienne Rouette
2005-03-21 14:48:19 UTC
Post by Kevin S. Wilson
How about quoting some of what you're replying to, so we know what the
hell you're talking about?
Because, you know, the Subject: header is really far away from the text.
After two or three follow-ups, any given message in ARK no longer has
much relevance to the subject line.
Perhaps. But after 20 or 25 follow-ups, at least one message becomes
relevant again (i.e. "Can we please go back to talking about glasses
of puke?") and after 50 or 55, the thread gets cross-posted and someone
calls you
worse than Hitler's magic hats (aka Michael's straight, not as well known
but at least as dangerous as Magellan's).

The enb.
Glenn Knickerbocker
2005-03-21 16:44:01 UTC
Post by Etienne Rouette
worse than Hitler's magic hats (aka Michael's straight, not as well known
but at least as dangerous as Magellan's).
Wait, you mean most people think Michael's gay?

¬R
Etienne Rouette
2005-03-21 17:33:35 UTC
Post by Etienne Rouette
worse than Hitler's magic hats (aka Michael's straight, not as well known
but at least as dangerous as Magellan's).
Wait, you mean most people think Michael's gay?
I don't know any gay Michael. NTTIAWWT.

Also, yesterday I walked by the Mountain Coop and I noticed they had a sale
on special lava shoes. The ones you can use to walk either over or under
lava.

(Only about 25 more messages to go before a cross-post about the magic hats
of Hitler (170th Law of INTERWEB.))

Etienne
Nick Bensema
2005-03-21 06:01:36 UTC
Post by Kevin S. Wilson
How about quoting some of what you're replying to, so we know what the
hell you're talking about?
Because, you know, the Subject: header is really far away from the text.
One day in the early 1990's, someone posted a message that said a
baby was just born.

I replied, asking whether it was a boy or a girl.

Two guesses what the subject line was.

They archived that message in Immortus, where messages would be kept
until the end of time. And I can't find it on Google.
--
Nick Bensema <***@io.com> AIM: NBensema
==== ======= ============== http://www.io.com/~nickb/
Rich Holmes
2005-03-21 11:27:18 UTC
Post by Nick Bensema
One day in the early 1990's, someone posted a message that said a
baby was just born.
I replied, asking whether it was a boy or a girl.
Two guesses what the subject line was.
"Longest thread ever"? "Songs about masturbation"?

Joseph Michael Bay
2005-03-21 20:35:27 UTC
Post by Rich Holmes
Post by Nick Bensema
One day in the early 1990's, someone posted a message that said a
baby was just born.
I replied, asking whether it was a boy or a girl.
Two guesses what the subject line was.
"Longest thread ever"? "Songs about masturbation"?
WORSE THAN SHITLER (WAS:Worse than Hitler(Was:Funny Names))
--
Chimes peal joy. Bah. Joseph Michael Bay
Icy colon barge Cancer Biology
www.stanford.edu/~jmbay/ got my mojo properly adjusted
TimC
2005-03-21 12:15:40 UTC
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 at 06:01 GMT, Nick Bensema (aka Bruce)
Post by Nick Bensema
Post by Glenn Knickerbocker
Because, you know, the Subject: header is really far away from the text.
One day in the early 1990's, someone posted a message that said a
baby was just born.
I replied, asking whether it was a boy or a girl.
Two guesses what the subject line was.
They archived that message in Immortus, where messages would be kept
until the end of time. And I can't find it on Google.
Early 90's? I recall this exact situation, with I believe you being
the culprit, within only the last year or two.
FORTRAN is a good example of a language which is easier to parse
using ad hoc techniques. -- D. Gries